Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mama said there'd be days like this

A college friend of mine had the title of this post as her Facebook status update this evening, and it totally applies to my day, so, I figured, what better to do than bang out a blog post, ten-second thoughts style? :)

1. Ben has reached a stage in his life (again?) that is totally stumping me. I have no idea how to get him to stop preferring me over Josh, how to get him to stop pooping his pants at naptime, how to get him to share, how to get him to stop calling people by the color of their shirt (as in, "that white girl over there," - yeah.)... it is exceedingly frustrating and emphasizes the fact that my attention is divided between two little cherubs instead of focused on just one.

1b. I also have no idea how to stop Ben from deliberately wrapping his head up in his blanket like a mummy, every nap and every night. It is occasionally terrifying to find him soaked in sweat, his head wet, his shirt wet, a large wet ring on his pillow, and him absolutely dead to the world, he is sleeping so hard. Shudder.

2. Matt is currently in that screeching stage? The one where a child just screeches? For, you know, no reason. Like, I'm done eating, I think I'll screech. Or, I am done being compliant, stop doing dishes and carry me around on your hip like it's your job. It is equally as daunting as it was when Ben did it, and you know what? Yelling STOP. IT.!!! at the top of my lungs is equally as ineffective with Matt as it was with Ben. Huh, who knew?

3. I ran into an old nursing preceptor at the library's story hour the other day, and it turns out she has two boys, too. She was always someone I admired, but never saw outside of work. And plus she was kind of supervisory. Anyway she gave me her number and said I should come over sometime. I had a similar experience on the playground, where I met and hit it off with a really sweet mom of two kids, and ended up friending her on Facebook, but it broaches the awkward topic of making friends as an adult. It's sort of like dating. You think you're hitting it off, you might give/get a phone number, you know they or you will never call, but you hope they call, they hope you call, you hope they don't call, because you were just being nice, or maybe you just want your kids to get together, or maybe you don't want your kids to get together, you just want to drink smoothies together -- it's so strange.

(I hope you all read that paragraph in Vince Vaughn voice. And if you don't know what Vince Vaughn voice is, it's because you haven't seen Wedding Crashers, and I actually respect you for that.)

4. Three or seven times today I channeled Tina Fey in the movie Date Night when she says she fantasizes being alone. I actually dreamed about going outside and pulling weeds or raking leaves. BY MYSELF. Oh, to have topped that off with a Diet Sprite...

5. I'm going to stop here. Sleep is better than ten-second thoughts. :)

5 comments:

The Carlson Chronicles said...

OK. I'm so laughing out loud right now. Not because you had a rough day, because that would be...well, rude. I'm laughing because #1, Ryan used to address people by the color of their shirts, TOO! Imagine my fear when he called Al Roker the 'brown man' (he was wearing a brown coat at the lighting of the Christmas Tree show on NBC 2 years ago) and then we walk into Target the next day and see a boy with, uh, dark skin and he happens to be wearing a black shirt. Fortunately I was able to distract him from that one! I know I say it all the time, and I don't mean to discredit the stages that Ben is going through, but seriously...Ben reminds me SO much of Ryan...just a few stages back!! Oh, and #2...I have seen Wedding Crashers and was totally thinking your written words in the Vince Vaughn voice.
Hopefully tomorrow is a better day!

Anonymous said...

There is little in this world I love more than your 10 second thoughts! (Although loving them means you need to have bad days to write them, I know.)

When I get really frustrated with Eliot or the groceries or whatever & actually yell, which I rarely ever do, Eliot stops everything & just cries. Which makes me feel like the most awful mother in the world. Which may be his point entirely.

Anonymous said...

There is little in this world I love more than your 10 second thoughts! (Although loving them means you need to have bad days to write them, I know.)

When I get really frustrated with Eliot or the groceries or whatever & actually yell, which I rarely ever do, Eliot stops everything & just cries. Which makes me feel like the most awful mother in the world. Which may be his point entirely.

LL Osborne said...

Glad I helped to inspire your post. :) Hang in there... I watch a 15 month old and she's almost out of the screeching phase... almost.

Laurel said...

I'm not sure I have seen all of Wedding Crashers, but for sure have Date Night. HYSTERICAL, and today I too was fantasizing about alone time. I could picture myself sitting in a little cafe, eating a wonderful cafe sandwich (not pbj) and drinking a frou-frou cafe beverage while reading a book. For hours. Sigh. Then Sophia screeched and I woke up and kept walking PAST the cafe with the jogger.