Saturday, October 08, 2011

Ten-second thoughts

My brother, Scott, says I don't know what 10 seconds is, judging by the length of my Ten-second Thoughts posts. But that's okay, because his blog is called Postus Frequentus, and evidently he doesn't know what 'frequent' means. :)

Today I fell UP the outdoor wooden stairs (I know, I'm special). I was carrying Matt, so I was trying really hard not to smash down on him (or drop him!), and the result was that I crashed down onto my right knee, realized I was still pitching forward at a significant speed, so attempted to place Matt (in a sitting position) on the step above us... which required bashing my left elbow onto another step, and my right pinkie onto the step where he eventually came to rest. I am proud to say that he was completely unharmed, and even prouder to say that Ben came to check on us with great concern. As for me, my pinkie hurts. Ha.

I have a new sewing machine. It's awesome. It does fantastic things. I don't know how to do most of them, but rest assured, it's capable. It even threads itself. You know, if you know how to make it do that. Cool.

I subbed in the health office the other day. It was fun.

I want to order our Christmas cards online RIGHT NOW.

We took the boys apple picking last weekend and came home with TONS of apples. We promptly gave half to Josh's mom, and I made a double batch of applesauce, using 8 apples. We've eaten a handful of them, too. We still have half a bag left! I made another batch of applesauce today (using only 4 apples) and there are still a bunch in the bag. Whatever shall I do??

On a side note, the first batch of applesauce that I made was deemed inedible by my firstborn. I am guessing because it was brownish (cinnamon) and chunky. The recipe calls for apples, water, brown sugar, and cinnamon. The batch I made today was water and apples only, with a dash of white sugar, and it's delicious. Next time I will skip the sugar completely. Unnecessary!

One of the best fall recipes ever: Pumpkin spice muffins. 1 box spice cake mix + 1 cup applesauce + 1 can pumpkin. Mix together, scoop into muffin tins, bake at 350° for 25 min, you're done. And yep, I used a cup of that inedible applesauce and Ben ate it. :)

Tomorrow I am making Chicken Pesto Penne Casserole or something like that, a recipe that I got from Jules. The best part about it is that it makes a double recipe right from the get-go, so every time you make it, you get two. :) I would've made it today, but the chicken wasn't thawed. Sigh. It doesn't thaw itself, you know.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Make more applesauce and freeze it. I rarely add sugar to my applesauce, it just doesn't need it.

So impressed you have your Christmas cards ready to order.

Laurel said...

Love that chicken casserole, I make it all the time now! It is officially Sophia's favorite non-pb&j type food. She even eats the green in it, yay!