Saturday, October 08, 2011

Birthday Shirts!

I came across a website the other day called "Crap I've Made." I thought about stealing that for this blog post's title, but really, I don't think they're crap, and "Birthday Shirts!" is more fitting. Anyway....

Here is the first one I ever made, for Ben's first birthday. I got the inspiration from a blog that I was reading at the time, and the mom had made a bib for her child's first birthday with a "1" on it. I thought it came out cute!
Here's the one for Matt's first birthday. I wanted his to be a little different, not only in color, but in style. I always do the block numbers for Ben, and I wanted Matt's to feel a little more artistic.
I recently made this one for a friend's son. She said they were doing a dinosaur theme for his birthday, so I went with the reptilian green. I think they liked it.
On to the twos! Here's Ben's....
...and here's Matt's! I apparently forgot to take a picture of the shirt before he was wearing it. Oh well. :) This was the first shirt I did in a color, because the red shirt was on clearance for $2.29 or something. I wasn't happy with the red-on-red, though, so was going to put an additional outline color of blue behind the red felt. Once I attached it to the denim patch, though, I liked how it looked, kind of squarish. So I left it!
I made this birthday shirt for a friend's daughter's birthday which will be in November. I used the leftover pink fabric from a number you'll see below, and I wanted a white shirt... but they were sold out of the size that I needed. At $3.88 for the purple one, I'll take it! I love the ruffled cuffs and gathers at the shoulders you can find on girly shirts. :)
Here's Ben's three... this was a difficult one. Threes have a lot of round edges. :)
And here is my first 4! This was made for a friend's daughter this summer. The only direction I had was "pink." I was looking for a way to girl it up a little (in addition to the ruffled sleeves and gathered shoulders), so I found the flower embellishments. There were six on the card, so I put four on the number and one each on a pair of socks. Cute cute.
And that's all I have in my repertoire so far. Ben will get a blue 4 this year, and I think I'll make him a 5 the year after that and then that's it. I'm stopping at the 5s. I'm sure I'll already hear about it when I'm 50 and my kids are looking back and complaining that I dressed them in these lame shirts... we shall see. :) Oh! And Josh told me that he prefers the block styling of Ben's numbers to Matt's rounded edges and whatever... so I guess maybe I'll try a red block 3 for Matt next year.

No comments: