Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Things I've Made ...again

I have a few blog posts brewing, but let's be honest... I'll most likely never get to them, so. I just figured I'd update my 'Things I've Made" posts, because sometimes when I look back, it re-inspires me to sew or create something. Here goes. There are TONS of pictures to follow. I need to update more often!

Here is my first-ever knitted dishcloth. I learned to knit at a local chapter of Mary Jane's Farmgirls. I was pretty happy with how it came out, so I of course gave it away. I couldn't bring myself to get it dirty. :) I have since made a second one like this (gifted as well), two dark green ones in a different pattern for my mom, two purply-blue ones for my grandmother, two greenish-blue ones for myself, and I'm working on a new set of variegated yellows that I won't finish in time for their intended recipient. Oh well. :). I also learned how to make a knitted bath mitt on circular needles. I'll have to see if I can dig up a picture of that...

 I made this shirt for my friend Amy's daughter (adapted from the pattern available here - I love this site!). I was making a baby shirt for Amy's expected little one, and I wanted to make something for big sister, too! I was kind of annoyed that I could only find a turtleneck (rather than a crew neck long-sleeved tee) in the size that I wanted, in white... but ah well. I still think it's kind of cute.
 Here is the shirt I made for the baby-to-be! Once in awhile, I think it's fun to dress my boys alike, so in case the baby was a girl, I wanted my friend to have the chance to do the same. She ended up having a beautiful baby girl, so maybe they'll get to wear them together someday!
 Here was the boy shirt, just in case...
 I made this one for a friend who just delivered a sweet baby boy in March.
 This one was for the awesomest one-year-old EVER, my nephew, Teddy! I liked how the two colors went together so well, that I used them together again when making the L shirt above.
 I gave this shirt to my friend with baby L, too. I just love the little tie, I can't help it!

Another Mary Jane's Farm inspiration... canvas bags. I made the blue fabric bag as part of "reusable bag exchange" that we did as a group, and the red tote was just to use up some fabric. I'm kind of addicted to making reusable fabric bags now. I always snag the canvas/duck cloth from the remnant bin at JoAnn's, and then line them with leftover fabric from making my scrubs a few years ago. Sometimes I shop the clearance fabric at Walmart, where you can score a yard for $1 (and I only need half a yard to line a bag), and I line the bags with that. 
Here's the bath mitt. It is not lovely. Knitting is not my forte. And I did not enjoy knitting on circular needles, although it was "fun" to do something different. 

 Ah, more sewing. These are the curtains I made for our bedroom awhile back. I should post a pic of our linens so you see the fabulosity. Or not.
 Here's another view of the red tote from above...
 A handbag I made from a Make It and Love It pattern. I've made two of these and gifted one away.
 Oh yes, I made him, too!
 More fabric bags. I have two of these, kind of a khaki color, lined with navy blue leftover from some project or other from a LONG time ago. I use them for groceries. I actually made two mini tote bags out of leftover khaki canvas. One I gave to Ben, and the other I gave to Abel's cousin Violet (I'm not sure if she "counts" as Ben's cousin? Hmmm...). I'll have to take a pic of Ben's tote now!
 I made this one last night. It's chocolate brown canvas from the JoAnn's remnant bin.
 The inside is Walmart clearance fabric, kind of a pastel turquoise with brown accents. This (and its eventual twin) will be grocery bags, too... I'm trying to create enough to do a whole grocery run with my bags.
I think that's enough Show & Tell for now.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Gracie loves her "Dancing shoes" shirt as she calls it. In fact she was pretty mad at me the other day because it was in the dirty clothes and I hadn't gotten around to washing it. (having a newborn is no excuse)

And I am going to try again to get the girls in their matching outfits and snap a picture, hopefully Kinsley will cooperate.

Laurel said...

Love your show and tell . . . you've inspired me to get back to work on the kids summer hats during nap time this afternoon! And a friend is coming over today to go fabric shopping so we can make bags, I'll have to post pics of all my upcoming projects . . . blog post coming . . . someday! ;0)

pen said...

awesome stuff! love the curtains! :-)