Monday, May 07, 2012

Be kind to yourself. Do less laundry.

Ha!

I've started this new thing where I won't put in a new load of laundry until the previous load is FOLDED. It has been *awesome.* Seriously. My old pattern was: wait until mountains of laundry pile up. Wash a load, dry a load, throw it on the couch. Wash another load, dry that load, throw that load on the couch. Lather, rinse, repeat. Basically the only time I would ever fold laundry was when the entire couch was covered... which equals about seven loads of laundry (or, um, more). Good thing we have two couches! Suffice it to say that I hate folding laundry. Hate it! Two good things came from this "plan." One, Josh would occasionally take pity on me and fold THE WHOLE MOUNTAIN of laundry. Bless that man! Two, Ben has learned how to fold washcloths, his own underwear, and the entire family's pants. And he actually likes to do it! With a gigantic mountain of laundry to be folded, I could keep myself busy with towels and t-shirts while he went to town on the stuff he could do. It was great.

But maybe not as great as only ever folding one load at a time. I am baffled by how tiny a load of laundry seems. It takes me like five minutes. Maybe ten. And since I don't put another load IN until the current load is folded, I get a long break in between foldings which is sheer bliss. I still hate folding laundry.

3 comments:

Amy said...

When we first got married we each named a few household chores we hated doing and then said in our new married bliss that we would do the other person's loathed tasks.

I got stuck with folding laundry. John signed up for emptying the dishwasher. I have folded almost 100% of the laundry in our almost 6 years of marriage and emptied the dishwasher about 40% of the time... hmmm.

Beth said...

Oh, Amy, I love this. When Josh and I got married we agreed that I would always do the laundry and he would always wash and wax my car, and keep it vacuumed.

Josh has waxed my car (collectively "all of the cars I've driven since we got married") ONCE. One time. He has probably vacuumed it a dozen times, but then we've been married for 9 years, so that's not really that impressive, right? Hee hee.

And I fold all the laundry 99% of the time. So there's that. It's unfortunate that he and I picked a trade-off that isn't equally necessary to survival. :)

Laurel said...

I don't mind the folding so much (though it does usually build to about 5 loads . . . ), but I hate putting it away. With 2 kids napping at various times in both bedrooms, that process can take DAYS. Ok, sometimes weeks. John and I didn't arrange any kind of trade, seems like I missed the boat on that one . . .